Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Meet me at the pole

Kids around America are praying at their schools' flagpoles this morning. That makes me feel hopeful for this nation for the first time in quite awhile.

This is the verse that keeps coming to my mind:

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. II Chronicles 7:14

America used to be One Nation Under God. Now we are very much One Nation Under gods. The god may be Yahweh, or Budda, or Allah, or money, or our selfish selves and our very own list of I wants. Whatever you god, I think you're short-sighted if you don't see the downhill slide of our great country. It scares me, because I love this place, and I'm proud to be an American. Or I was proud. I'm not so sure anymore.

I didn't go to the pole with the kids this morning, mostly because I wanted a cup of coffee more than I wanted to haul myself out the door extra-early. I will go to my knees though. I will humble myself and pray and seek Yahweh's face and turn from my wicked ways (or do my very best to), and ask God to hear from heaven and forgive my sin and heal. this. land.

I hope you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment