Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Discontent

I am.

It's ridiculous.

I sat down to write about it, pray about it, in my journal this morning. I confessed my sins and asked Jesus to take away my greed. I usually write in a jumbled flurry of thoughts and then go back and pray what I've written. What I noticed as I did this struck me as funny. Ha-ha funny even. I am such a visual person that God very often deals with me in ways that I can see, and I love Him for it. As I looked at my journal page, I noticed a pattern. The first word on the left-hand column of more than fifty percent of the lines I'd written was

ME.

I could almost feel the heat of the light bulb, people. It was shining brightly, directly over my head. I am discontent because my focus is

ME.


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2

1 comment:

  1. well, that's an easy fix. replace every "me" with the word Jesus and complete it His way. I heard this very message on the Christian radio station last night and it really hit home.

    it's a good message for us all. we're ALL about me. you know?

    ReplyDelete