Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The first thing about Luke

I've been chewing on this one since I last wrote.  I'm going to write this very informally, because I have this great fear of coming off like I'm trying to be some great theologian, sounding like an idiot, and representing the Author of my faith poorly.

Let me rephrase:  I am not a theologian.  I am a girl on a journey.  I love Jesus.  I like to write.

So...many, many things in the book of Luke have grabbed my attention.  One of the things that has stuck with me is from Luke's rendering of the Lord's Prayer in chapter 11.  Actually, it came from the footnote concerning this passage.  The footnote states the importance of acknowledging God's holiness before we come to him with our requests.  You know, hallowed be thy Name...

Do I do that?  No, my prayers are most always on-the-run petitions, one-phrase pleas for help, and/or self-serving requests.  For example, every single time I go to the base hospital (where we receive our medical care, and where the parking situation is dire) I am running late and beg God, without preamble, for a parking spot.*

Clearly, I am not one of those people who thinks her God should not be bothered with little things.

Sometimes (well, actually with an embarrassing frequency), God wakes me in the night to tend to the conversation I've neglected with Him during the course of the day.  These are usually prayers for others, and I pray them sleepily, incoherently, obediently until I drop back off to sleep.

I'm working on this.  Actively attempting to give God even a wee bit of the credit to which He is entitled before I start off on my me, me, me monologue.  I need to work on that, too, but as they say, that's a topic for another post.




*The fact that I always, always find a good parking spot is evidence to me that while my prayer life is imperfect, my God is not.  I will say this again and again: If He loves me this much, He surely loves you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment