Friday, September 24, 2010

People, Vol. 1

I struggle with what to write here.  This isn't the place to blog about my kids and the dangerous levels of male hygiene products that threaten to asphyxiate me every morning.  I don't want to blog in a way that sounds all pious and perfect, because that would be a lie.  Initially, I wanted to write about my journey, my growth, my very personal relationship with Jesus, but oh! the pressure!  It was paralyzing, and so mostly, I wrote nothing.

I think that I've finally figured it out, this blog.

I think that I will write about the people I encounter.  I do seem to find some really interesting people.  It happens often enough to be reliable blog fodder, so I'll give it a try.  Here goes:

Last night, as I grudgingly took the dog for her nightly walk (the very same dog who refuses to use the backyard for its intended dog-purpose) I came across an exceedingly tall young man talking on a cell phone and walking a pretty chow-mix.  We've lived in this neighborhood for two years and I feel as though I have a pretty good handle on the evening dog-walkers, but this kid was new.  As we reigned in our leashes he snapped his phone closed and said, "Good evening, ma'am!" 

Always a sucker for a "ma'am," I responded in kind and then became the happy beneficiary of his very good news.  He told me, excitement ringing in his voice, that the phone call delivered the news that he's been accepted into the Navy.  He told me about boot camp in Chicago in December, and about his hopes and dreams for the future.  I listened and smiled and told him I was sure he was headed for a grand adventure.  I promised him my prayers.  When we parted ways I was nudged to make good on my promise, and I did.

Because I don't believe in chance meetings, I realize that I have been honored with the chance to meet and pray for this young man.  I have some ideas about why God chooses to work through the prayers of His people, who knows if they're correct.  Regardless, my life experience has taught me that indeed He does, and I'm thrilled for this most recent privilege.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I can picture it all in my head, I even have a face for the young man. I know you will pray for him, that is why God put him in your path. So cool.

    ReplyDelete