Tuesday, October 6, 2009

GPS

I was a woman on a mission yesterday. I had something grownup to do; something that was in no way related to laundry or carpools or cooking endless amounts of food for people who are never, ever full.

And I was a wreck.

You see, yesterday I got to interview the author of this great book.

And I was a wreck.

I have this magical, phenomenal way of forgetting key items in any major endeavor. It has to do with the creative brain (I tell myself) and the fact that creative people are procrastinators, due to the fact that our brains are constantly whirring and coming up with new and great ideas. Or so I tell myself.

I tried to be like my husband. I laid out clothes, packed the right colored purse, stacked a little pile with notebook, tape recorder, and the book, along with my printed directions.

I was still a scattered mess, so I took 10 minutes to read my bible and pray. My mind wouldn't stop so I flipped to that old standby, John 15 (v4, NIV).

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

I read it over and over, begging my churning mind to grasp the meaning. I finally gave up and fell to my knees. Even in prayer, I couldn't stop the Crazy Brain. Finally, I just asked for help.

HELP!

And then I hit the road. I was 35 minutes later than I wanted to be, but there was still plenty of cushion, so I didn't panic...until I took 495E instead of 495N. Then I freaked. I got off the interstate, but had NO CLUE how to get back to where I needed to be. I drove, and drove, and dug in the console for the life-saving GPS, but there was no GPS. It was at that moment that I realized the key item I had forgotten was the author's cell phone number.

After a few choice thoughts (which I will not share here), I took a deep breath and prayed.

I can't. I can't! I can't do this without You!

And I turned my head to see a sign that read:

495N

with an arrow, pointing the way.

And then the funniest thought came to my mind. A thought which showed me, a) My wrong turn was no surprise to God, and b) He's hilarious.

I was lost without the GPS. Even with my printed directions, I needed that GPS to save the day.

GPS

God-Positioning System

I am lost without Him.

John 15:4

1 comment:

  1. {Long sigh}

    Karen, I'm just going to tuck this away and mull it over and over.

    (Lord, I can't do this next day without You. Be my God-Positioning System. I, too, am so very lost without You!)

    ReplyDelete