Monday, October 19, 2009

Worship from the box

I was sitting in church yesterday, distracted by the:

-very loud baby directly in front of me, with the mother who kept taking her to the back of the sanctuary and the grandmother who turned around and around and around to see how they were doing,
-eight rows of teenagers beginning three rows ahead of mine, with the unfortunate (for him) family member in my direct line of vision watching a video clip on a buddy's cell phone,
-Minister of Worship and his cool Converse, with white socks,
-woman who is always so friendly but dresses way to cool to be my friend, dressed so cool that I couldn't quit looking at her outfit,

and I thought:

If only I could come to church, enter a sound-proof box and put on blinders that limit my line of vision to the stage in front of me, then I could concentrate.

Well, there would still be the Converse. And the socks.

But still. I am so easily distracted that it becomes terribly difficult to focus, to worship, to get the re-fueling I so desperately need.

And then, as He so often does, God whispered in my ear.

Sounds like life, Karen.

And then I think He smiled.

In life I am so easily distracted that it becomes terribly difficult to focus, to worship, to get the re-fueling I so desperately need.

I won't list all that I am distracted by...this post would be one for the Guinness Book of World Records. I do know that when my day begins with even the littlest chat with Jesus, when I focus right from my pillow, the day is smoother, more peaceful, and the world and all its distractions are less, well, distracting.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3

1 comment:

  1. I can absolutely relate to this! Only in my case I usually create my own distractions. Even in such a distraction resistant box of worship I would no doubt find my mind shifting between being able to focus and my self entertaining thoughts. Thanks for the reminder to fix my eyes on Jesus and not on the things of this world. You know Karen, you could always opt to sit up front in church....while not distraction free(ie. Converse guy) it does eliminate the teenager in the line of sight thing. Only problem is then you have the pressure of not becoming a distraction to those who sit behind you:)

    ReplyDelete