Thursday, October 8, 2009

I could so be Oprah

The Christian Oprah. For sure.

I love people so darn much. I am fascinated with their stories. I could so totally rock that role, where it was my job, my sworn duty, to root out people and their amazing God-stories. Seriously, give me a couch, a tv camera, some Jimmy Choos (so long as I didn't have to walk. Or stand up.), and an army of staff members to research, shop, dress, coif, and otherwise make me look good.

I could do it.

I would have a cooking segment, too. I would use my own crummy mismatched knives and my stained white colander with the broken handle. I would substitute ingredients, just like I do at home, and have children as my taste-testers. I would employ the three-minute rule and make big pots of coffee for my guests to sip on while we talk. And I would love on them, just like Jesus. I would ask them brilliant questions and get them to share the amazing things God is doing in their lives.

Meanwhile, my personal assistant(s) would be backstage, setting up orthodontist appointments and making sure any and all permission slips are signed and returned in a timely manner.

I would a brilliant Christian Oprah.

So far, God has not taken me up on my great idea. I get the feeling that He would just like me to be a brilliant Karen. No tv cameras, no Jimmy Choos. No personal assistants.

I do have a Helper, though.

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. (John 14:16-18 NKJV)

1 comment:

  1. Bravo, Karen! I'm so with you!! You'd make a brilliant Oprah (Christian, of course)!! It's that people and their stories thing... I can't get enough!!

    (And, BRAVO, God, for sending a Helper to do life with me. May I be better at utilizing, accessing that help instead of always trying to do it all by myself!)

    ReplyDelete