Thursday, October 1, 2009

Getting it

I'm reading the book of John, and for days now I've been stuck on chapter 15. I can't get past it. I keep reading it over and over, trying to get what Jesus is saying.

I'm pretty sure I could spend a lifetime doing this and still not get it.

I've been asking for Help, which seems a reasonable (wise even?) thing to do. It's like that word that's on the tip of your tongue. So close, but yet so stinking far.

I'm determined to keep at it, because my heart is just sure there is a treasure trove of goodness there. I want it.

Admittedly, I'm very scattered this morning (or, er, always) and focusing on anything is difficult. I think, though, that I may have a glimpse of something and it seemed like a good idea to lasso it and put it into words before it slips away. Here goes..

I flew by verse nine several times before settling on it with a little bing! of a lightbulb. Verse nine reads (NKJ version today):

As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.

As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.

As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.

Did you get a bing!?

Think of this. Try to imagine God's relationship with Jesus. It is perfect. It is true love (insert Princess Bride voice if you like). It is exactly the way relationship is meant to be. It is a I Corinthians 13 kind of love,

(Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.)

existing in a perfect, selfless, symbiotic relationship between the very definition of Love and His only Son.

Yes. It's a ton to wrap your mind around, I know. But now try to wrap your mind around this:

As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you.

The love that Jesus has for you (and me!) is as pure, as selfless, as perfect as the love the Father has for the Son.

Bing!

No comments:

Post a Comment